THE PROVISIONS OF GOD FOR THE BELIEVER IN THE NEW JERUSALEM
Key Word – Curse
In our last study, we were looking at the seven provisions of God for the believer, we also included Scriptural truth dealing with three traits of the Fruit of the Holy Spirit – Love, joy and peace. (Galatians 5:22-23)
Today, we want to get back into Revelation 22 and God’s provision for the believer in heaven. We will pick up with Revelation 22:3 and the fact that there is no more curse in the New Jerusalem [heaven].
FACT: The current earth is cursed. How? Cursed to:
- Disasters and on and on
The current earth is cursed because man has chosen to make his own life in this world and to reject God’s life [God’s, free, gift of eternal life – John 3:16].
As we have clearly seen in our study of Scripture, God’s life is eternal life (Romans 10:9-13). Therefore, man (Adam) chose to make his own life, he chose to die Consequently, man brought death and all its evil into the world. Man cursed the earth by his rejection of God and God’s eternal life.
However, the wonderful fact is that the Heavenly Jerusalem (heaven) has no curse. This means that heaven [the new Jerusalem] is free of evil and death. It is perfect and will last eternally. There is no curse of evil or death in the city. Its citizens are free of the curse; they are perfected forever and ever.
“And unto Adam he said, Because thou has hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life.” (Genesis 3:17)
“For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.” (Galatians 3:10)
“And men shall dwell in it [the city of God], and there shall be no more utter destruction; but Jerusalem shall be safely inhabited.” (Zechariah 14:11)
4. The fourth provision in Revelation 22 which God provides for the saved is the throne of God and of the Lamb in the city (v. 3b-4). This means at least two things.
a. The Lord’s servants will SERVE God and Christ, operating out of the heavenly city. That is the Heavenly Jerusalem which will be the capital city of the universe, the headquarters of the Lord’s government, rule, and reign.
The idea is that we will receive our instructions and do our reporting from the very throne of God and Christ. We will have access to the very throne of heaven itself (In our previous study, see point 3, Revelation 21:24-27).
b. The Lord’s servants will see His face (v. 4). We will see Him face to face, actually stand face to face with our wonderful Lord and God: talk with, share with, serve, discuss, worship, praise and offer thanks; and we will have the right to see Him face to face throughout all of eternity.
What wonderful hope the true believer has! (John 3:16; Romans 10:9-13) The glory and privilege of hope. The stirrings and excitement of hope!
Our wonderful Savior and Lord has given us a hope that explodes our wildest imaginations.
We will have the glorious privilege of living face to face with our wonderful Lord!
“Blessed are the pure in heart: for THEY SHALL SEE GOD.” (Matthew 5:8)
“And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God (The Father), and Jesus Christ, whom thou has sent.” (John 17:3)
“Beloved now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall SEE HIM AS HE IS.” (I John 3.2)
“As for me, I will behold THY FACE IN RIGHTEOUSNESS: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness.” (Psalm 17:15)
5. The fifth provision: That God has provided for the saved:
The name of God is written in the forehead of believers (Revelation 22:4)
This means possession and security. We shall be completely possessed by God. We will be His servants and be enabled to serve Him totally and wholly. We shall belong to Him and be under His care and love, direction and guidance, security and safety—eternally.
“Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.” (2 Corinthians 1:22)
“In whom ye also trusted, after ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, which is the earnest [guarantee] of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.” (Ephesians 1:13-14)
“And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Sion, and with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father’s name written in their foreheads.” (Revelation 14:1)
“And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads. (Revelation 22:4)
6. The sixth provision that God has provided for the citizen of Heaven:
There is eternal light in the city (v. 5), (see Revelation 21:24-27 comments; see also Revelation 21:11; 21:23 and notes).
7. The seventh provision for the saved:
There is eternal rule -work and service—For God and Christ Revelation (v. 22:5b). (Also see notes, part 3, 5 – Revelation 21:24-27)
Now we want to move to Revelation 22:6-21 and the Message is faithful and true: It is of God and it is prophetic (v. 6)
NOTE WITH Revelation 22:6-21, this passage closes the great book of Revelation.
These are the final words of the Word of God, for the great Book of Revelation is the last book of the Bible. Jesus Christ has sounded forth the wonderful message of Revelation.
- Jesus has proclaimed the great message of Revelation.
- He has revealed the end of time.
- He has told us what is going to happen during the last years of human history.
- The things He has shown us have been astounding.
- The things He has revealed have caused us to stand in stark amazement at the glory and majesty of God.
- We have been overwhelmed and exposed to the supreme intelligence and power of God.
- We have seen God’s ability and power to take all the ungodliness and evil of this world and get rid of them for good.
Now think back over what we have seen on our journey through the Book of Revelation: As taken from The Preachers Outline & Sermon Bible, pages 295-296.
- We saw God holding a great BOOK OF DESTINY in His hand and Jesus Christ, God’s Son, walking over and taking the book of Destiny out of the Father’s hand. He opened it up to reveal the future of the world.
- We saw that the world is going to experience an increase in natural catastrophes—These are so destructive that whole areas of the world be devastated.
- We saw that a great charismatic leader is to arise upon the world scene who will be so evil that he can only be described as a beast. He will be the Antichrist, a man who will have the answers to peace and to some of the world’s terrible problems. We saw that the world will turn to him because of his answers and that he will bring peace and solve some of the massive problems of society.
- We saw that once the Antichrist has consolidated his power over a number of nations, he will institute a world -wide loyalty to the state—what might be called a state religion. Every citizen will be required to give his loyalty to the state as the great PROVIDER AND PROTECTOR of its citizens. We have seen that the Antichrist will turn from the good that he will do and launch the worst evil the world has ever known. He will instigate the worst holocaust ever feared by man, a holocaust that will slaughter literally millions and millions of people—people of all religions and everyone who refuse to give their FIRST LOYALTY AND ALLEGIANCE TO THE STATE.
- We saw that the government, society, and religions of the world will become so evil under the Antichrist that God will make the decision to go ahead and judge the ungodly and evil of the world and end world history.
- We saw the judgment of God that will fall upon the earth, the great SEAL JUDGMENTS that will bring famine and disease and that will kill one fourth of the earth’s population.
- We saw the great TRUMPET JUDGMENTS that will bring violent storms, volcanic eruptions, a meteroric mass, astronomical happenings in space all so devastating that one third of the earth’s vegetation, seas and water supply will be destroyed. We also saw that there will be a plague of locust-like creatures that will torment all the ungodly and evil of the earth. We saw that there wil be a plague of demonic military horsemen which will kill on third of the population of the earth.
- We saw the end come in the seven BOWL JUDGMENTS that will fall upon the earth. The bowl judgments are the final judgments the end of world history. We saw the ulcerous sores that will hit the human race. We also saw the pollution of the sea and fresh water supply of the earth and the death of all sea life. We saw that the rays of the sun will hit the earth with a scorching heat, then a pitch-black darkenss will strike the earth. And then we saw that the most massive military buildup and the largest army ever witnessed by the earth will be launched by the Antichrist – Armageddon.
NOTE: In our next study, we will continue our review of the Book of Revelation and what we have seen therein. Then we will also see eleven stirring facts that are given by the Lord Himself and John.
As we close today, we would encourage you to think about your salvation. Paul, in 2 Corinthians 13:5, encourages all of us to examine our faith to make sure we are saved. If you are not certain of your Salvation, please examine: John 3:16; Ephesians 2:8-9; Romans 10:9-13 and make sure you have followed the narrow road to heaven (Matthew 7:13-14). Salvation can only be acquired through the Lord Jesus Christ, God’s Son (see Ephesians 1:3-14).
Not originally with me, much has been drawn from other resources throughout the Revelation study, particularly the Preachers Outline & Sermon Bible, other sermons and Pastoral preaching.