THE BREAD OF LIFE – John 6:35
It is not always easy to recognize what we really need — we often confuse what we want with what we need. Jesus Christ said He had the ability to show us what we really need and to satisfy that need Himself.
I. JESUS DEMONSTRATES HIS DEITY (vv. 1-26)
A. Jesus demonstrates His power.
B. Jesus demonstrates His concern for our needs.
C. The multitude missed the point (v. 26).
II. JESUS DEMONSTRATES HIS REAL CONCERN (v. 27)
A. Man has both spiritual and physical needs.
- God also sees our legitimate physical needs (Matthew 6:31, 32).
- Man has spiritual needs that cannot be satisfied by anything in this world (Ecclesiastes 2:9-11, 26; 3:11).
- Man’s spiritual needs are greater than his material needs (Matthew 4:4; Deuteronomy 8:3; Luke 12:15, 23).
B. Jesus Christ, the Bread of Life, is the only true satisfaction (vv. 32-35).
- Jesus welcomes those who come to Him with their spiritual needs (Matthew 5:6; John 6:37).
- Jesus offers that which is more lasting than physical food (v. 35; cf. 4:13, 14).
- Jesus alone can provide “real life” (John 10:10; cf. 1:4; 5:26; 22:25; 14:6).
- The one who comes to Jesus finds that he no longer has to worry about physical needs (Matthew 6:33; cf. I Timothy 4:8).
C. The Bread of Life imparts life “only” when it is “eaten” (vv. 51-58).
- How can one “eat” what Christ is describing in verse fifty-three?
- He can’t, literally, of course. The Jews could only think of this possibility and they rejected Jesus (vv. 52, 60, 66).
- One “eats” of Jesus’ flesh and “drinks” of His blood as he receives and “believes” the Truth which Jesus taught (vv. 45, 47, 63, 68).
- Assimilating the Bread of Life involves more than a mere learning of the facts (John 5:38).
- The one who eats of the Bread of Life “abides” in Christ, and Christ in him (John 6:56; cf. 14:23; I John 2:24; 3:2).
A. Jesus Christ’s ability to identify and satisfy our deepest needs is one proof of His deity (I Peter 2:3).
B. Every person needs to learn the difference between physical life and eternal life.
C. Man has a need which God alone can satisfy.
- “Thou has made for us Thyself and our hearts find no peace until they rest in Thee” (Augustine).
- Christ is the only answer for man (Matthew 11:28-30).
D. Why not come to Him and partake of the Bread of Life today? (Acts 16:31; John 14:6; Ephesians 2:8-9; Romans 10:9-10, 13)
E. Do you hunger for heaven? Christ is the Only Way!