SIMEON’S PROPHECY – Luke 2:25-35
I. SIMEON WALKED CLOSE TO GOD
- A man who was just & devout
- A man who looked for the Messiah
- A man led by the Spirit
- A man given an unusual promise
- A man who saw & held the Messiah
II. THE MESSIAH, GOD’S SALVATION
- The Source of Peace
- The One appointed to be God’s Salvation
- The One prepared for all people
- The Light to unbelievers
- The glory to believers
- The Child whose parents marvelled at the prediction
III. THE CHILD WOULD BE THE CAUSE OF MANY FALLING & MANY RISING
IV. THE CHILD’S FATE WAS SEALED
- He was to be opposed & put to death
- His purpose: to reveal the inner thoughts of man’s heart
Christ was a sign of both God’s love and judgment. It is this that causes men to react. Men want a god that brings only enough law and morality to give order to society. Therefore, when Christ is set before men as the Messiah of self-denying love and obedience, they react. Why? Because if they disobey Him and fail to live sacrificial lives, they bring judgment upon themselves.
Man either sees the love of God and surrenders to the saving grace of God, or else he looks upon the cross as a repulsive sight and rejects the saving grace of God. He either sees Christ as dying for his sins and receives the forgiveness of God offered by the cross, or else he recoils from the thought of sin within himself and turns from the forgiveness of the cross.
Many stumble and fall over Him. They will not notice, look, study, prefer, choose, believe or trust Him and the salvation He was to bring.
Where are you at? Is Christ your Savior (John 14:6) OR have you rejected God’s gracious offer of eternal life? The choice is yours!!! (Ephesians 2:8-9; Romans 10:9-10, 13)