The Seven Seal Judgments – Part One, Revelation 6
Today we are starting with the Seals of Revelation six and the beginning of the tribulation period. So, let’s begin with a positive mind set about the Lord Jesus Christ (He is God). With that mind-set, let’s review some things that Jesus did while here on earth which show that He is God (The True Messiah).
- He cured the lame (John 5:1-9).
- He healed the sick (Luke 7:1-10).
- He gave sight to the blind (Mark 8:22-26).
- He raised the dead to life (Matthew 9:18-26).
- He fed thousands with only a little boy’s lunch (Matthew 14:14-21).
- He calmed a raging storm with one command (Matthew 8:23-27).
Let’s be further encouraged with some other facts about the Lord Jesus Christ. Besides having the supernatural powers that we have just stated, Jesus had supernatural qualities that only God can possess. Remember, the reason we are looking at the supernatural powers and the supernatural qualities is to assure those in the tribulation period (and us) that the Lord Jesus Christ (God’s Son) can open the seals and oversee the end times events. So, let’s review some of the supernatural qualities that Jesus has and that ONLY God can possess:
- He has immutability (unchanging) (Psalm 102:25-27).
- He is eternal (John 17:5).
- He is all-knowing (Omniscience) (John 16:30).
- He is all-powerful (Omnipotence) (John 5:19).
- He is Omnipresent (Psalm 139:7-10).
- He is unchangeable (Hebrews 13:8).
- He is the Creator and sustainer of the universe (Colossians 1:16-17).
Throughout the Old Testament God promised the Jews that He would send a king who would establish God’s kingdom on earth. This deliverer was referred to as the Messiah. He would be God Himself on earth. A big mystery that surrounded the Messiah.
Although the Jews knew HE was coming (because God had promised that HE would come), they weren’t sure how they would know who He was, and they didn’t know when He would come or how to identify Him.
So God (as He always does) supplied some help through the predictions in the Old Testament called “prophecies” (because the “prophets” announced them). The Jews had some fairly specific clues about the Messiah. Let’s review some of the clues that God had given to the Jews:
HE GAVE A CHECKLIST OF FULFILLED PROPHECY CONCERNING THE MESSIAH THAT HAD BEEN GIVEN TO THE JEWS, SO THEY COULD RECOGNIZE THE MESSIAH:
- City of birth: He was going to be born in the little town of Bethlehem (Micah 5:2).
- Parentage: He would be a direct descendant of the famous King David (Isaiah 11:1).
- Distinguishing characteristics might help us: It was strange and inconceivable but the Messiah would be born to a virgin (Isaiah 7:14).
- Childhood: Although born in Bethlehem, He would spend most of His Childhood in Egypt (Hosea 11:1).
- Notoriety: He would have a ceremonial entrance into Jerusalem on a donkey (Zechariah 9:9). You would probably agree that this was a rather humble and inauspicious ceremony for a Messiah [a king].
- Death: The Messiah would die by crucifixion, the method of death normally reserved for the most terrible criminals (Psalm 34:20).
- His famous last words: It is interesting that even the Messiah’s last words were recorded as part of the identification process. These last words were predicted in (Psalm 22:1).
- Resurrection from the dead: The Messiah was predicted to come back to life after His death (Psalm 16:9-10).
Connect the truth of the virgin birth and the fact that He would resurrect and you have a strange but exciting life predicted for the Messiah, that is, God’s Son.
Centuries before Christ. As the list of prophecies about the Messiah became longer, the pool of candidates got smaller and smaller. That doesn’t mean that the Jews did not have their share of Messiah imposters. Some could fake a few of the criteria (by forging a birth certificate to show Bethlehem or riding a donkey into Jerusalem, for example). But the imposters weren’t willing to be crucified and none of them could demonstrate the prophecy of “coming back to life after death” prediction.
However, Jesus claimed to be the long-waited Messiah and He had the resume that we have looked at to back up His claim of being the long-awaited Messiah.
No person BEFORE or AFTER Christ has been able to pass the Messianic test – ONLY Christ.
In fact, none but Christ had the endorsement of God the Father. With a booming voice from heaven God the Father announced that the Lord Jesus Christ was His Son, when Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist.
“And Jesus when he was baptized, went up straightway from the water: and lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove, and coming upon him; and lo, a voice out of the heavens, saying, ‘This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased’ ” (Matthew 3:16-17, ASV).
*No doubt you can recognize this as the amazing scene that it was for a couple of reasons:
*First, in the present, the three persons of the Trinity are seen in one place at the same time. They are distinct yet united around the true Messiah, the Lord Jesus Christ, God’s Son.
- God the Father’s voice is heard from heaven identifying Jesus Christ as His Son.
- The Lord Jesus Christ is physically present.
- The Holy Spirit is seen descending like a dove and settling on Jesus.
FACT: Consider that when all the dots are connected, no person before or after Christ has been able to pass the Messianic test.
Now let’s ask the important question, “Why did Jesus Have to die?” Simply, the reason Christ had to die was in order for you and me to have an avenue to heaven and to get to know the Father (John 3:16; Matthew 7:13-14).
NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
- As sinners, we deserve the penalty for sin (Romans 3:23; 6:23).
- Because God is holy and just, He demands a punishment for sin. A penalty must be paid for sin and we aren’t capable of paying the penalty because as noted we are sinners.
- The only one who can offer an acceptable payment (sacrifice) is Jesus, God’s Son, or God Himself. Why? Because the Lord Jesus Christ, is God’s Son, or God Himself is the Only one without sin, excluding the Trinity itself.
- The Bible clearly makes it clear that LOVE caused God to send Jesus to pay the penalty for OUR sin:
“This is LOVE, not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning SACRIFICE for our sins” (I John 4:10, emphasis, NIV).
“For God so loved the world [you], that HE GAVE HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON (Jesus Christ), that WHOEVER (YOU) that believeth IN HIM should not perish, but have everlasting life [God’s FREE gift of eternal life]. John 3:16; Ephesians 2:8-9; Romans 10:9-13 emphasis added, KJV).
Having accepted that Jesus Christ is God’s Son and offers to those who want God’s free gift of eternal life, we are ready to proceed with our study of Revelation 6.
REVELATION SIX AND THE OPENING OF THE SEALS
Now let our minds move from today and to the fact that the end time has arrived. If you are ready here we go!
In Revelation six we are looking at a dramatic moment in mankind’s history. God’s book, the book of destiny, the awesome book of history is present. Before us is the book that spells out what is to happen in the END TIMES. This awesome book is now going to be opened. Question: “Are you ready for its contents to be revealed to you?”
NOTE: The Lamb does not completely expose what is under the seal He merely opens the seal. However, the events which immediately precede the end are going to be revealed.
NOTE: The seals of a book have to be broken before the book itself is opened. The seals are preliminary to the opening of the book.
This is exactly what Christ Himself said. Remember the apostles had asked Christ two questions: When would the temple be destroyed? And What would be the sign of His coming and of end of the world?
“And as he sat upon the mount of OLIVES, the disciples CAME unto him privately, saying ‘ Tell us (1) WHEN shall these things be? AND (2) WHAT shall be sign of thy coming, and of the end of world?’ ” (Matthew 24:3, emphasis added, KJV).
Christ answered by giving NINE SIGNS, and He called this period of history “the beginning of sorrows.”
“And Jesus answered and said unto them, ‘Take heed that no man deceive you. For many shall come in my name saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. And you shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the END IS NOT YET. For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. All these are the beginning of sorrows. Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name’s sake. And then shall many be offended and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another. And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom shall be PREACHED IN ALL THE WORLD for a witness unto ALL NATIONS; and then shall THE END COME’ ” (Matthew 24:4-14, emphasis added, KJV).
Jesus answered His disciples and gave them nine signs, and He called this period of history “the BEGINNING of SORROWS” (Matthews 24:4-14 especially verse 8). After He had given the nine signs, He said “then shall the end come” (Matthew 24:14).
NOTE: It was after the nine signs, after “the beginning of sorrows” that Christ said the end would come. By the end He meant what He Himself called the GREAT TRIBULATION is coming upon the earth in the end time.
In our next study, we will pick our study up at this point.
- PLEASE REVIEW THIS STUDY AND WRITE DOWN What you understand about the LORD JESUS CHRIST.
- IDENTIFY WHAT PERIOD OF TIME CHRIST SAID WOULD BE THE BEGINNING OF SORROWS.
- WRITE OUT WHY CHRIST HAD TO DIE!
- CONSIDER John 3:16; Romans 3:23; 5:6-11; 6:23; Romans 9- 13 and ask yourself if you have truly accepted God’s Son the Lord Jesus Christ as your personal Savior!