Prophecy Part 80 – Evil Spirits – Satan – Angels – Fallen
Revelation Nine – The Demonic Plagues
Up until this point God’s judgments that had rocked the earth seemed directed against the physical world itself, affecting man only indirectly. Remember, that under the judgment of the first trumpet, the trees and grass were devoured by the hail and fire and blood. Next, the creatures in the sea and the ships moored along the coasts were destroyed by the impact of a burning mass from outer space.
When the third trumpet blew, another missile from space had poisoned the waters of the world. Then the energy-generating processes of the sun and stars had been reduced for a time. All of these judgments struck fear into the human hearts and indirectly led to pain and death for many; but, undoubtedly most survived with relatively little personal suffering. However, that is about to change.
After a few days the sun resumed its normal shining, the grass began to grow, the water supplies were quickly treated and made potable, and men went back to their own personal concerns, again ignoring the voice of God. When the next trumpet would sound, however, the first of the three great woes predicted by the angelic messenger, whom they had seen flying through the heavens, would take place — every single person would indeed experience directly the mighty sting of judgment.
NOW WE WILL SEE SOMETHING ASTOUNDING — THE OPENING OF HELL – SATAN
I trust that the following study of Satan and his angels will help in understanding the area of Revelation that we are currently studying.
FACT: For ages Satan and his host of fallen angels have hated mankind. Man, in fact, was the very occasion of their fall and the awful fate which they know is awaiting them.
NOTE: God created ALL angels good (Genesis 1:31; Ezekiel 28:14-15). However, since they possessed personhood, with the ability to make moral decisions, they were given the choice of remaining loyal to their creator and serving Him or rebelling against Him and serving sin.
Satan was created a HOLY ANGEL of the highest rank and was described as “the anointed cherub (Ezekiel 28:14). His original name was “Lucifer” meaning “Light-bearer” of divine glory (Isaiah 14:12).
In addition, Satan was “full of wisdom” and “perfect in all his ways” until he sinned (Ezekiel 28:13, 15). Satan was stationed in heaven, which was described as “Eden the Garden of God” or “the Mountain of God” (Ezekiel 28:13, 16). Apparently this was located next to God’s throne (Ezekiel 28:16).
Being a creature of personhood, Lucifer (Satan) had the capability of making moral choices and of worshiping his Creator. But struck by his inherent beauty and dazzling dress, he chose to exalt and worship himself (Ezekiel 28:13, 17).
This wrong choice and action generated within him the sin force and pride which, thereafter, totally energized and governed him (I Timothy 3:6). It also led God to cast him out of heaven (Ezekiel 28:16). Satan then set out on an irrational course to seize for himself God’s position and authority (Isaiah 14:12-14).
It appears that Lucifer (Satan) initially sinned after creation week (Genesis 1:31) and before man’s moral fall (Genesis 3:1-6). When, through Eve, he induced Adam to sin, Satan seized man’s authority over the earth (Genesis 1:26) and became the “prince of this world” (John 12:31; 14:30; 16:11; Hebrews 2:5-8) and the ruler of unsaved earth dwellers (Acts 26:18; Colossians 1:13; I John 5:19 “in wickedness” means “in the wicked one”).
THE FALL OF OTHER ANGELS:
Apparently responding to Satan’s example and persuasion, as many as a third of the angelic host chose to revolt against God and to follow the Devil (Revelation 12:4). Their wrong choice and action engendered within them the sin force and brought them spiritual death and ruin, as their designations “evil spirits” and “unclean spirits” indicate. It also brought them under Satan’s authority (Matthew 12:24; 25:41). Satan was not an eternal being like God, however, but had indeed been created (Ezekiel 28:15). However, Satan had once been the highest of all the angels. Satan was in a place of unsurpassable privilege at the very throne of his Creator.
In fact, he and all the angelic principalities and powers under his oversight had been created for the very specific function of serving as ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation (Hebrews 1:14).
They had been created prior to man’s creation, probably on the first day of creation, in order to be ready for this service when God was ready to create man on the sixth day. Man, unlike the angels, was to be made in the very image of God, with the created ability to reproduce his own kind.
For reasons which are not clear Satan was not content with the exalted position for which he had been created. He wanted to exalt his throne above that of “the stars of God” (Isaiah 14:13) and to “be like the most High” (Isaiah 14:14). The term “stars” is frequently taken as synonymous with “angels” in the Bible (Job 38:7), possibly because angels have their domicile, as it were, in the stars of heaven. Satan desired a still higher throne, and was able to incite a third of the angelic hosts to rebel with him against God (Revelation 12:3,4,7).
Satan and all his hosts, of course, could not prevail against their Creator, and God cast them to the earth (Ezekiel 28:17; Revelation 12:9). They should have learned obedience from this, but unfortunately they did not and they have continued in their rebellion through the ages.
The only rational consideration for such irrational behavior on the part of one who was “full of wisdom” is that he has strangely concluded that God is not his Creator, after all, and that he therefore may yet be able to mount a successful revolt against Him.
The tragic delusion of an external osmic evolution must have had its first expression in the mind of Satan himself, as he attempted to rationalize his presumption that he could actually hope to defeat God.
Next let’s consider the fallen angels or demons activity as they are released from the pit:
Revelation 9:7-10 – Evil Spirits – Judgment – The Demonic Plagues
There will be the appearance and power of the locust-like demons. Eight descriptions are given that should help us. The point being made is the terrifying appearance and power of the demonic forces of the end time. As we review the eight descriptions of the demon forces, try to place yourself near the entrance of the pit.
How does the picture of the demons coming out of the pit affect you?
- The demonic locusts are like horses prepared for battle, posed and ready to attack. This could also mean that they will be larger than the average size locusts (Revelation 9:7).
- The demonic locusts will have heads that look like they are crowned with gold; this symbolizes that they will have AUTHORITY to afflict men. They will be as CONQUERORS and be SUCCESSFUL in their attacks.
- The demonic locusts will appear to have the faces of men; this symbolized the DETERMINATION AND INTELLIGENCE of men. They will be set like flint in their attacks and have the intelligence to attack and inflict damage with their scorpion like poison.
- The demonic locusts will have hair like the hair of women, beauty to seduce and ensnare, to help them seem innocent and harmless at first. This may mean long antennae to help them in their attack and escape.
- The demonic locusts will have teeth as a lion, ferocious, fierce, devouring, and cruel (Joel 1:6).
- The demonic locusts will have breastplates as of iron, indestructible, protected and defended. People will be helpless in killing them.
- The demonic locusts will have wings that sound like many chariots rushing into battle, frightening and over-whelming. There will be a sense of hopelessness in defending against them (Joel 2:4-5).
- The demonic locusts will have sting tails like scorpions, demonic torture.
NOTE: When the end of the world approaches, there will be far more demonic forces at work than ever before. The intensification staggers the human mind. But God loves us and warns to escape the fangs of the devil and the demonic hordes. Therefore, He warns us about what is coming.
If we are to escape the future coming judgments which are to be blasted against the ungodly and evil of the last days, we must follow the path to heaven to which God has directed our attention. What is that way? The Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God Himself. We must receive Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, casting ourselves totally upon Him.
“How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard Him” (Hebrews 2:3).
“For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape” (I Thessalonians 5:3).
“Though hand join in hand, the wicked shall not be unpunished: but the seed of the righteous shall be delivered” (Proverbs 11:21).
“Therefore thus saith the LORD, Behold, I will bring evil upon them, which they shall not be able to escape; and though they shall cry unto me, I will not hearken unto them” (Jeremiah 11:11).
“Woe unto you that desire the day of the Lord! to what end is it for you? the day of the LORD is darkness, and not light. As if a man did flee from a lion, and a bear met him; or went into the house, and leaned his hand on the wall, and a serpent bit him” (Amos 5:18-19).
As you think about Satan and the hordes of angels that were kicked out of heaven and ended upon earth with him, ask “why earth?” Those who study the stars now tell us there are in excess of One Trillion galaxies and so why did God choose to ensure that Satan and his angelic followers ended upon earth out of all the possibilities that existed in the universe?
The location, earth, was probably chosen for Satan’s home for several reasons:
- Earth was the abode of man.
- Because he had rebelled against his ministry of service to mankind, he was to be allowed to test man, thus determining whether man also would rebel against his Creator.
- No doubt you would agree that mankind has rebelled against His creator (John 1:3; Colossians 1:16-20; Romans 3:23).
- Mankind believed the same satanic deception, doubting that God was really God. “Ye shall be as gods,” said Satan. Also, Satan said “God is not uniquely the Creator and Ruler of all things, as He claims. He is like us and, therefore, we can be like Him. We were all made by natural processes out of the eternal cosmic matter.”
- As we have reviewed the opening of the pit and the demons released, it may have been discouraging. However, one must remember that God loves us and is our shepherd (Psalm 23). And we are safe in His Hands (John 10:27-30). He will take care of us in all circumstances. God has not forgotten us now, nor those who are in the future.
LET’S REVIEW SOME HELP FOR TIMES OF DEEP STRESS. These life lessons are important for anyone going through some of life’s extreme stresses. Perhaps there are those who are reading this and at the same time experiencing stress because of life’s lessons. Please recognize that God often allows some stress into our life to bring us closer to Him.
NOTE: Man must beware and prepare. He must prepare by receiving the Lord Jesus Christ as His or her Savior (John 3:16). Why? So, they may escape the demonic hoard that is to come in the LAST DAYS. We will also help ourselves by reviewing some principles from Scripture which are designed by God to help us, whether now or in the future during the Tribulation Age.
- Peter can help us as he says to humble ourselves and to cast all our care upon God (I Peter 5:-11). The question for peace is: “Will we do it?”
- Paul reminds us of a couple things about God that we often forget:
“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ” (Ephesians 1:3).
“I can do ALL THINGS through Christ which strengtheneth me” (Philippians 4:13).
“But my God shall supply ALL your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:19).
- Remember, we do not have to fear Satan and his fallen angels [demons who fell to earth with Satan]. Why? Because God has given us his armor for protection Ephesians 6:10-20.
- Remember also, we are to pray to the Father (Matthew 6:1-18). We are to focus on Christ who is in heaven (Colossians 3:1-4). While being strong in the Lord and in the power of His might, not forgetting to put on the whole armor of God, (Ephesians 6:10-20). Not forgetting to “walk or live” in the Spirit (Galatians 5:16).
NOTE: It is impossible to not recognize that God has given us all we need to live in any age, whether now or in the future.
Please contact us with questions or comments. We would appreciate knowing if this study of Revelation has been helpful to you.