Prophecy – Part 79B – Trumpet Judgments, Revelation 8:13-9:13
Today we are looking at the worst holocaust the world will have ever seen.
- Millions of believers will be slaughtered by the godless society and government of the antichrist.
- The godless government of the antichrist will insist that the people’s first loyalty belongs to the state.
- The antichrist will set up the state as a god and demand total allegiance.
- He that is the antichrist will do what so many governments do today and have always done: demand that people focus upon the government and recognize it as the great provider and protector of society.
- He and His government will declare the age-old philosophy of the supreme state, that the government alone can meet the needs of people and bring utopia to them.
- Those who refuse to give the government their first loyalty will be hunted down, imprisoned and executed.
- Take a moment and think about this and how you have seen this taken place on earth, even now.
- Governments all over the earth that hold to the supremacy of the state and deny God also disallow freedom of worship.
- Would you not agree that you are seeing the above today which indicates the lead in to the tribulation age? This is just as Christ predicted in Matthew 24.
- When the antichrist comes to power, he will exalt the government and its leader world-wide.
- But this is only a fraction of what will be happening in the end time.
- The great tribulation will have just begun, and every person on earth who puts God first will be slaughtered, if they can be found.
- God has heard the prayers of the millions who have been slaughtered for their faith. It is because of this and all the other terrible sins and evils of a godless society that God decides– it is enough. He will now judge and end the world.
- What we have seen thus far is this: the great tribulation has just begun. The great book of God has now been opened, the Book of Destiny, the book that reveals what is to happen in the end time. This is exciting because we are now to be given information that men have searched for for thousands of years. What and when is the end of time? Where will mankind spend the rest of eternity? Heaven or hell. The answers are coming in our study.
God’s judgment upon the ungodly [unsaved] and the evil of this world has begun to fall. Four trumpet judgments have blasted the earth with natural disaster after natural disaster. The destruction and devastation upon earth has been unparalleled.
- One third of the vegetation has been destroyed.
- One third of some of the sea has been polluted and a third of the sea life has died.
- One third of the water systems of the world has been polluted by a meteoric mass from heaven that has fallen on the earth.
- One third of day and night has been affected because of astronomical happenings throughout space.
Now, we come to the blast of the fifth trumpet judgment: a demonic-like locust plague upon the ungodly and evil of the earth is about to fall.
1. The blast of judgment is now to be far more severe (Revelation 8:13).
2. The unnamed star or person is revealed (Revelation 9:1).
3. The bottomless pit or abyss is opened (v. 2). (3)
4. The locusts from the abyss are sent to inflict unbearable punishment (v. 3-6).
5. The locusts have a horrifying appearance and power (Revelation 9:7-10).
6. The king of the locusts is identified (v. 11).
The trumpet blast of the FIFTH JUDGMENT will be far more severe than the other judgments. The other four trumpet judgments were directed against the earth itself and involved natural catastrophes. Now the judgments will be directed against the ungodly and evil mankind of this earth.
NOTE: The fifth judgment will not affect those who refuse to give their allegiance to the antichrist, those who refuse the mark of the beast (Revelation 9:4).
Remember: God will seal His followers; He will protect believers so that His judgments do not fall upon them. His judgments will be for the ungodly and the evil, not for those who have trusted His Son.
Of course, as in every generation, believers will be martyred at the hands of ungodly men. But believers will not suffer the judgments of God. They will be protected even as Israel was protected during the Egyptian plagues under Moses.
Warning was given that the next three trumpets would be more severe and devastating than those which preceded them.
The triple WOE announced by an EAGLE warned of coming judgment. Eagles are also mentioned in Revelation 4:7 and Revelation 12:14.
The idea is that the eagle soars in the height of the sky, right at the zenith of the noonday sun. Why? So that all can see him and hear his voice cry out a threefold woe upon the ungodly of the earth. This, of course, is symbolic language stressing the strength, swiftness and certainty of the judgments. The eagle is a symbol of vengeance (Deuteronomy 28:49; Hosea 8:1; Habakkuk 1:8).
None of the ungodly and evil of the world will escape the judgment of God. Why? God is JUST and RIGHTEOUS as well as LOVE, perfect in justice and righteousness. Therefore, PERFECT JUSTICE is to be executed upon the ungodly and evil of the earth. They are to reap exactly what they have sown. God Himself will execute justice and righteousness in the trumpet judgments, as it applies to mankind.
This is the fifth trumpet blasting its judgment upon the ungodly of the earth. This is the beginning of the GREAT TRIBULATION that is coming upon the earth. This is what the Great Book of God, the Book of Destiny, reveals for us. But remember: as just stated, God is loving as well as just. Therefore, any person who repents and turns to God’s Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, during the Tribulation period can still be saved, no matter how ungodly he has lived.
(Revelation 9:1) Satan — Angels, Fallen – the Abyss — the Bottomless Pit: there will be the unnamed star or person. A star is said to fall from heaven. What is this star? Note that the pronoun HIM is used to refer to this star. It is a person. The word STAR is used in its symbolic way to refer to a person of fame or high position. Who is this person? Let’s note some facts:
- He is said to be a star “fallen” (peptokota) from heaven to earth. This past tense: it means that he was already fallen when God gave him the key to the bottomless pit.
- Christ said that He saw Satan fall from heaven.
“And he said unto them, ‘I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven’ ” (Luke 10:18).
- Scripture gives a glimpse into the fall of Satan. He apparently was the highest archangel ever created by God. But he did what every person has done, he began to look at himself and choose to go his own way. Therefore, God had to do what he has to do with every one of us when we reject and rebel against Him. God had to cast Satan out of heaven, out of His holy presence.
“How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! How art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit” (Isaiah 14:12-15).
- He is given the keys to the bottomless pit, the abyss, the place where Scripture says the demons and devils are kept. We will discuss this later.
The point is this: in comparing Scripture with Scripture, this fallen star or angel seems to be Satan himself. If he is not Satan, then he is probably some high ranking fallen angel in the spirit world (Ephesians 6:10-12).
NOTE: Presently Jesus Christ has the keys to the bottomless pit, but He gives them to Satan and allows Satan to afflict the earth with his hordes of demons. Why? So that the world of evil men can reap what they have sown.
NOTE: God restrains and limits Satan’s evil destruction even as He does in the Age of Grace (Matthew 8:29; Luke 8:31; Revelation 1:18; 3:7; Revelation 20:11-15).
(9:2) Abyss—Bottomless Pit: There will be the bottomless pit. It will be opened by the fallen angel of Satan. What is the bottomless pit? It is the place where EVIL SPIRITS AND DEMONS are kept until the end of the world.
The final doom for these spirit beings will be Gehenna or the lake of fire, the place where all those who have rebelled against God are to be condemned (Revelation 20:14-15).
NOTE: Notice what happens when this fallen angel opens the bottomless pit; smoke arises out of the pit, smoke that is just like the smoke of a great furnace. The smoke in the atmosphere becomes so heavy and so thick that the sun is darkened. This symbolizes what will happen to the ungodly and evil:
- The darkness of the underworld will attack them.
- They will have the breath of life suffocated out of them by trouble after trouble.
- They will experience horror after horror arising out of the bottomless pit (Luke 8:31; Revelation 9:1-3, 11; Revelation 11:7; Revelation 17:8; Revelation 20:1-2).
Revelation 9:3-6 – Evil Spirits – Judgment. There will be the locust-like demons from the abyss. They will be sent to inflict unbearable punishment upon the ungodly.
Why are these demons called locusts? Because locusts are a symbol of God’s anger against the ungodly and evil of the world (Exodus 10:13; Joel 1:4). Note some facts about the judgment of these locust-like demons:
- The locust-like demons will be given scorpion-like power (Revelation 9:3). The scorpion strikes its victim with its tail; its sting is in its tail. It has a poisonous fluid that it injects into the wound of its victim. The sting is not fatal, but it causes terrible suffering.
The point is: In the great tribulation demons with scorpion-like power will be set loose from the bottomless pit.
Point to remember: the world and the laws of nature are being so radically affected that natural disaster after natural disaster will be occurring all over the world.
There will be a shortage of food, water, and the basic essentials of life. Animals will be scurrying about even as men are, frantically searching for food. There is, of course, even the possibility of some bizarre animal mutation resulting from all the natural changes and scientific experimentation in the latter days.
THE POINT IS THIS: WE KNOW BETTER THAN TO LAUGH AT SUCH PROSPECTS TODAY BECAUSE OF WHAT SCIENCE IS DOING WITH THE GENES AND BASIC ELEMENTS OF LIFE. INDESCRIBABLE MONSTROSITIES ARE VERY POSSIBLE IN THE FUTURE.
But note: this is a judgment of God. It is not something man brings on himself. God may allow the evil spirits to use something man has developed, but God’s judgment will be behind it all. Evil spirits, the demons from the bottomless pit, will be loosed and given scorpion-like power to afflict the ungodly and evil of this world.
NOTE: They do not kill people; they only afflict and torment people. The demons will torment everyone in their paths just like the locusts of the field.
2. The locust-like demons will be restrained from damaging nature (see v 4). This shows that they will not be real earthly locusts, for locusts feed upon vegetation.
3. The locust-like demons are to afflict ONLY people who do not have the seal of God (see v.4). God will seal His people during the great tribulation. His people will be protected from suffering the judgments cast upon the ungodly and evil of this world. Many believers will be afflicted and die at the hands of the antichrist, but not a single believer will be touched by the judgment of God. God’s wrath falls only upon unbelievers. This has always been true and it always will be (Revelation 7:2-3; 8:13).
4. The locust-like demons will not kill people, only torment them (v. 5); this is critical to note. This fact alone seems to point to the demonic force being some locust-like animal that actually sweeps the earth, an animal that stings people with some poison venom that torments but does not kill its victims.
This may seem cruel, but we must always keep in mind what is happening: the ungodly and evil of the end times will launch a holocaust upon the world far beyond anything anyone could have ever imaged. They will literally torment and slaughter millions of believers. Therefore, as God has always said, a man reaps what he sows.
NOTE: Consequently, the ungodly and evil of the end times will be punished with an equal judgment, a torment equal to the torment they have inflicted on God’s people.
NOTE: The torment is to last five months. The idea of a continuous attack: the locust-like demons are to continuously attack the ungodly for five long months. But even during this awful judgment, God shows mercy and is going to give man a chance to repent (Revelation 9:20-21). As always, most will refuse; but, God will still offer His mercy because He loves and longs for man to be saved and to know the glories of heaven and eternal life.
- The result of the torment upon people will be so agonizing and the pain so excruciating that people will beg for death (v. 6). But they will not die. Remember, most people lack the courage to commit suicide. They wish to die, but they do not have the courage to go ahead and take their own lives. The scene of the last days is that people will so afflicted with torment that they will wish to die, but they cannot. The affliction is not strong enough to kill them, and they are unable to gather up enough courage to kill themselves. Death is out of their reach. They must suffer the torment of God’s judgment.
- Jeremiah predicted that men would suffer so much that they would crave death (Jeremiah 8:3).
- Other Scriptures talk about the despair and hopelessness of men in affliction (Job 3:21; Job 7:14-15; Job 10:1; Psalm 66:11; Psalm 90:7; Psalm 102:9-10; Isaiah 33:14).
Revelation 9:7-10 -Evil Spirits – Judgment. We will begin our next study with this topic and add to it (Revelation 9:11) – Evil Spirits – Satan – Angels – Fallen.