Prophecy – Part 71 – Sixth Seal, God’s Wrath, Revelation 12-17
As the Lamb Breaks the Six Seal: The Great Day of God’s
Wrath Begins — The universe will be shattered.
Revelation 6:12-17 – The sixth seal is now broken and the great day of God’s wrath BEGINS. The UNIVERSE is shattered; both heaven and earth feel the judgment of natural catastrophes. However, remember this is still not the end of the world, it is still not the final judgment.
The seals of the Book of Destiny have to be broken before the book can be read. Therefore, the seal judgments are events that are to happen right before the end begins. Seen is the beginning of God’s wrath against the violence, hatred, and rebellion of a corrupt and evil world.
- The effects of God’s wrath upon the universe (vv. 12-14).
- The effects of God’s wrath upon people (vv. 15-16).
- The reason for the catastrophes and panic of men (vv. 16- 17).
Revelation 6:12-14 Gives four views: (1) Judgment – (2) universe – (3) world: (4) there are the effects of God’s judgment upon the universe.
There will be a great earthquake. This will be no ordinary earthquake. Note the word “great.”
The idea is that it will be beyond anything ever known to mankind.
Note the effects in verses 12-14. Great fear will be gripping the hearts of people.
- The great earthquake.
- The Sun became black as sackcloth of hair.
- The moon becomes as blood.
- The stars will fall to earth.
- The heaven rolled up.
- Every mountain and island were moved out of their places.
Again, notice the word “great” which describes the force of the earthquake and its after effects. Imagine the destruction of property, the loss of life, the fear gripping the hearts of people, and the further damage caused by the great aftershocks of the earthquake.
NOTE: JESUS CHRIST Himself predicted there would be more earthquakes in the latter days than ever before.
“For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, pestilences and EARTHQUAKES, in divers places” (Matthew 24:7, KJV).
NOTE: Revelation mentions three great earthquakes.
- “And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;” (Revelation 6:12, KJV).
- “And the same hour was there a great earthquake, and the tenth part of the city fell, and in the earthquake were slain of men seven thousand: and the remnant [rest] were affrighted, and gave glory to the God of heaven” (Revelation 11:13, KJV).
- “And the seventh angel poured out his vial into the air; and there came a great voice out of the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying, it is done. And there were voices, and thunders, and lightnings; and there was a great earthquake, such as was not since men were upon the earth, so mighty an earthquake, and so great. And the great city was divided into three parts, and the cities of the nations fell: and great Babylon came in remembrance before God, to give unto her the cup of wine of the fierceness of his wrath” (Revelation 16:17-19, KJV).
The Old Testament predicted earthquakes in the end time.
- “For in my jealousy and in the fire of my wrath have I spoken, surely in that day there shall be great shaking in the land of Israel;” (Ezekiel 38:19, KJV).
- “I beheld the mountains, and, lo, they trembled, and all the hills moved lightly” (Jeremiah 4:24, KJV).
- “Shall not the land TREMBLE for this, and everyone mourn that dwelleth therein? And it shall rise up wholly as a flood; and it shall be cast out and drowned, as by the flood of Egypt” (Amos 8:8, KJV).
- “The earth shall quake before them; the heavens shall tremble: the sun and the moon shall be dark, and the stars shall withdraw their shining” (Joel 2:10, KJV).
- “For thus saith the LORD of hosts; Yet once, it is a little while, and I will SHAKE the heavens, and the earth, and the sea, and the DRY LAND;” (Haggai 2:6, KJV).
NOTE: The sun and moon will be eclipsed and blackened and the stars or meteorites will shower the earth. Very practically there are times when such astronomical happenings do occur now.
- The heavenly bodies are sometimes darkened by such catastrophes as volcanic eruptions, wind storms, and smoke from fires. Of course, whatever darkens the sun hides the light of the moon and stars from earth.
- Stars or meteorites of varying sizes fall from outer space to earth quite often.
Is this what is meant by these passages or is there to be UNBELIEVABLE DISORDER inflicted upon some of the stars above, disorder causing massive explosions and fireworks and hurling meteorites throughout space – a volcanic eruption in the heavens affects all the universe? There is no way to know. all we know is that there is going to be a severe intensification of astronomical happenings, and they will begin right before the end time comes.
Scripture declares emphatically that these events will occur during the end times.
NOTE: THE STARS FALL TO EARTH ONLY TWO TIMES: here when the sixth seal is broken (Revelation 6:13), and after the tribulation when Christ returns to earth (Matthew 24:29-31).
Astronomical happenings will occur right before the end time.
“And the stars of heaven fell unto earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a might wind” (Revelation 6:13, KJV).
Astronomical happenings occur during the tribulation.
- “And the fourth angel sounded, and the third part of the sun was smitten, and the third part of the moon, and the third part of the stars; so as the third part of them was darkened, and the day shone not for a third part of it, and the night likewise” (Revelation 8:12, KJV).
- “And he opened the bottomless pit; and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit” (Revelation 9:2, KJV).
- “And the fifth angel poured out his vial upon the seat of the beast; and his kingdom was full of darkness; and they gnawed their tongues for pain,” (Revelation 16:10, KJV).
Astronomical happenings will occur right after the tribulation when the day of the Lord comes.
- “Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:” (Matthew 24:29), KJV).
- Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, cruel both with wrath and fierce anger, to lay the land desolate: and he shall destroy the sinners thereof out of it. For the stars of heaven and the constellations thereof shall not give their light: the sun shall be darkened in his going forth, and the moon shall not cause her light to shine. And I will punish the world for their evil, and the wicked for their iniquity; and I will cause the arrogancy of the proud to cease, and will lay low the haughtiness of the terrible” (Isaiah 13:9-11, KJV).
- “And it shall come to pass in that day, that the LORD shall punish the host of the high ones that are on high, and the kings of the earth upon the earth. And they shall be gathered together, as prisoners are gathered in the pit, and shall be shut up in the prison, and after many days shall they be visited. Then the moon shall be confounded, and the sun ashamed, when the LORD of hosts shall reign in mount Zion and in Jerusalem, and before his ancients gloriously” (Isaiah 24:21-23, KJV).
- “And I will shew wonders in the heavens and in the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke. The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and terrible day of the LORD come” (Joel 2:30-31, KJV).
- “The sun and the moon shall be darkened, and the stars shall withdraw their shining. The LORD also shall roar out of Zion, and utter his voice from Jerusalem; and the heavens and the earth SHALL SHAKE: but the LORD will be the hope of his people, and the strength of the children of Israel” (Joel 3:15-16, KJV).
NOTE: The heavens will disappear and the mountains and the hills will be moved out of their place. What does this mean? Take notice that men are so frightened that they cry for the mountains and rocks to fall upon them. This is a prophetic way to describe the devastation of the astronomical happenings and the great quake and meteorites falling to earth.
- “And all the host of heaven shall be dissolved, and the heavens shall be ROLLED TOGETHER as a scroll: and all their host shall fall down, as the leaf falleth off from the vine, and as a falling fig from the fig tree” (Isaiah 34:4; KJV).
- “Of old hast thou laid the foundation of the earth: and the heavens are the work of thy hands. They shall perish, but thou shalt endure: yea, all of them shall wax old like a garment; as a vesture shalt thou change them, and they shall be changed:” (Psalm 102:25-26, KJV).
- ” I beheld the mountains, and, lo, they trembled, and all the hills MOVED lightly” (Jeremiah 4:24, KJV).
- “The mountains quake at him, and the hills melt, and the earth is burned at his presence, yea, the world, and all that dwell therein” (Nahum 1:5, KJV).
Revelation 6:15-16 – JUDGMENT, UNIVERSE, WORLD: These are the effects of God’s judgment upon people. Note two significant THINGS:
- Great fear will grip ALL unbelievers upon earth. Note the list of those who fear:
- The kings and rulers of the earth will fear.
- The great and powerful of the earth will fear.
- The rich and wealthy of the earth will fear.
- The military chiefs of the earth will fear.
- The mighty and strong of the earth will fear.
- The slave and insignificant of the earth will fear.
- The free and independent of the earth will fear.
Every UNBELIEVER upon earth will be stricken with terror, a maddening terror. They will be so frightened and panic will sweep the earth. No one is going to escape the judgment of God, and THEY ALL KNOW IT. And there is no partiality with God; God has no favorites.
The world of the unbelievers will quake in terror and fright before the unusual events happening in outer space and upon earth. There will be a sense, an awareness, a consciousness that the judgment of God is looming right over the horizon. The very atmosphere of the earth will be heavy with the feeling that the end is at hand.
“Then shall they begin to say to the mountains, Fall on us; and to the hills, Cover us” (Luke 23:30, KJV),
“They shall go into the holes of the rocks, and into the caves of the earth, for fear of the LORD, and for the glory of his majesty, when he ariseth to shake terribly the earth” (Isaiah 2:19, KJV).
“And the LORD shall utter his voice before his army: for his camp is very great: for he is strong that executeth his word: for the day of the LORD is great and very terrible; and who can abide it?” (Joel 2:11, KJV).
“The high places also of Aven, the sin of Israel, shall be destroyed: the thorn and the thistle shall come up on their altars; and they shall say to the mountains, Cover us; and to the hills, Fall on us” (Hosea 10:8, KJV).
REVELATION 6:16-17 THE DAY OF THE LORD – JUDGMENT
There is the reason for the catastrophes throughout the universe and for the panic of men – the great day of God’s wrath is at hand. What is the great day of God’s wrath? These two verses tell us.
- It is the day when all unbelievers must stand before the face of God who sits upon the throne of the universe.
- It is the day when ALL UNBELIEVERS must face the wrath of the Lamb; the day when they must face the Son of God Himself, the Lord Jesus Christ, whom they have REJECTED, DENIED, CURSED, DISOBEYED, DISBELIEVED, IGNORED, AND NEGLECTED.
- It is the great day of His wrath, the very day that His wrath is to fall, the very day that EVERY unbeliever must face Him.
- It is the day when no unbeliever shall stand, the day when all unbelievers shall crumble and be subjected to the humiliation of eternal guilt, condemnation, and punishment.
JOHN WALVOORD: PUTS IT IN SIMPLE AND STRIKING WORDS:
“The Day of the Lord is a period of time in which God will deal with wicked men directly and dramatically in fearful judgment. Today a man may be a blasphemer of God, an atheist, can denounce God and teach bad doctrine. Seemingly God does nothing about it. But the day, designated in Scripture as ‘the day of the Lord’, is coming when God will punish human sin, and He will deal in wrath and in judgment with a Christ-rejecting world. One thing we are sure of, that God in His own way will bring every soul into judgment” (The Thessalonians Epistles, Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan 1967, p. 76).
Remember, this is a picture of what WILL BE HAPPENING right before the Day of the Lord comes. It has not yet come. The end time has not yet happened. This event–the catastrophe in the heavens and on earth and the fright and panic that strikes ALL the unsaved people with maddening terror – all this is right before the end times begin. This is just the breaking of the seal of God’s book on the destiny of the world. The events within the pages of the book – the worst judgments are yet to come.
The message to ALL PEOPLE EVERYWHERE IS TWOFOLD:
- All unbelievers will stand face to face with God on the great day of His wrath, and the day is right over the horizon.
- The wrath of God is coming upon the rich and the powerful who thought they were self-sufficient.
- The wrath of God is coming upon the religious who thought they could be good enough and do enough good to be acceptable to God.
- The wrath of God is coming upon the poor who thought they were too insignificant or else thought their oppression would cause God to look upon them with mercy.
- The wrath of God is coming upon the intelligent who thought they were too knowledgeable to believe in Christ.
- The wrath of God is coming upon the scientist and technician because they thought they had progressed so far, they could disprove God.
- We must trust Jesus Christ and escape the great day of God’s wrath.
“He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day” (John 12:48, KJV).
“But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of righteous judgment of God;” (Romans 2:5, KJV).
“For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?” (Revelation 6:17, KJV). (see also Isaiah 2:11-12; Isaiah 13:9-11; Zeph. 1:14-16; Mal. 4:1).