JESUS CHRIST – HIS COMING AS CONQUEROR – Revelation 19:12-16
THE GREAT BATTLE OF ARMAGEDDON – Revelation 19:17-21
As we stopped in our last study we were looking at Revelation 19:14 and the person of Jesus Christ the Heavenly, Warring Leader v. 14. We had reviewed:
- The names and titles of Jesus Christ (v. 11)
- Jesus Christ will be the consuming Prince (v. 12)
- The Person of Jesus Christ (v. 13)
- Jesus Christ the person, the heavenly, warring Leader (v. 14)
Now we want to look at Jesus Christ, the Fierce Conqueror (Revelation 19:15). This is seen in three things.
First, He will have a weapon–a sharp sword which will proceed out of His mouth. This symbolizes that His weapon will be the power of His Word. The Word of God is the sword of God (see also Ephesians 6:17).
“And take…the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God” (Ephesians 6:17).
“For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged-sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart” (Hebrews 4:12).
“But with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and reprove with equity for the meek of the earth: and he shall smite the earth: with the ROD OF HIS MOUTH, and with the BREATH OF HIS LIPS shall he slay the wicked” (Isaiah 11:4).
Second, He will smite and rule the nations of the earth with a rod of iron. He will conquer and subject them all and take His rightful place as the Sovereign Lord over the earth and all its peoples.
“Thou shall break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter’s vessel” (Psalm 2:9).
“But with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and reprove with equity for the meek of the earth: and he shall smite the earth: with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips shall he slay the wicked” (Isaiah 11:4).
Third, He will execute the fierceness and wrath of God the Almighty (see Revelation 14:18-19; Revelation 14:10-11) for more information.
Now let us move to Revelation 19:16 and see Jesus Christ as the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. He is THE SOVEREIGN KING AND SOVEREIGN LORD OF THE UNIVERSE.
(a) No one exists except by His will.
(b) No one shall be allowed to be a citizen of His kingdom unless they have his approval.
(c) When He comes as conqueror He is going to banish all those who have not acknowledged and subjected themselves to His sovereignty. Also, those who have NOT WORSHIPED AND SERVED Him as the greatest of all Kings and Lords will be banished.
“Which in his times he shall show, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings and Lord of lords” I Timothy 6:15).
“And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood” (Revelation 1:5).
“These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is the Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are CALLED, and CHOSEN, and FAITHFUL” (Revelation 17:14).
“And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS” (Revelation 19:16).
Now let’s move to Revelation 19:17-21 and The Great Battle of Armageddon.
This is the great battle of Armageddon, the final battle of human history.
- This is where human history ends.
- This is where the Lord Jesus Christ intervenes and stops the madness of evil of humanity.
- This is where Jesus Christ returns to earth and destroys the ungodly and evil of this world (see John 14:1-6).
- This is what the Bible and Believers call:
+The great day of Jehovah.
+The great day of God.
+The day of the Lord.
+The final battle of human history.
+The judgment of God upon the godless governments of this world.
+The end of the devil’s rule upon earth.
+The Supper of the Great God.
+The Great Battle of Armageddon.
The battle of Armageddon is the intervention of Jesus Christ into world history. It is His returning to earth and destroying all the forces of evil upon earth–once and for all. (See also Revelation 14:20; 16:12-16.)
- The terrifying call to the supper of the great God (Revelation 19:17-18)
- The mobilizing of the world’s forces (v. 19)
- The simple and quick, capture of the hostile forces (v. 20)
- The grim judgment of the hostile forces: the lake of fire (v. 20)
- The weapon of victory (v. 21)
Now let’s move verse by verse starting with Revelation 19:17-18. Armageddon: there will be the terrifying call to the supper of the great and awesome God. This supper differs entirely from the Marriage Supper of the Lamb which will be for believers only.
This supper, the SUPPER OF THE GREAT GOD, will be for UNBELIEVERS ONLY AND IT WILL BE THE MOST TERRIFYING MOMENT IN HUMAN HISTORY.
Note the terrifying preparation for this supper:
- A mighty angel cries with a loud voice to ALL THE BIRDS OF THE AIR.
- He cries for them to gather for the Supper of the Great God.
- Why are the birds of the air called together?
- Because God is going to destroy the godless nations and armies of this world.
- God is going to slay all the armies of the nations of the world.
- God is ending once and for all the slaughter of human life upon this earth.
- Therefore, the angel is calling together all the birds of the air to feast upon the ungodly of this world after they have been slain.
Note who it is to be slain and who is to become a feast for the vultures and other birds of the air:
- the flesh of captains
- the flesh of mighty men, that is, the powerful
- the flesh of the horses
- the flesh of the riders on the horses
- the flesh of all men, both slaves and the free, both the small and the great
- the idea is that all the unsaved armies of the world will be destroyed. Every single army will be destroyed by Jesus Christ when He returns in glory
“Thou shalt fall upon the mountains of Israel, thou, and all thy bands, and the people that is with thee: I will give thee unto the ravenous birds of every sort, and to the beasts of the field to be devoured” (Ezekiel 39:4).
“And, thou son of man, thus saith the Lord God; Speak unto every feathered fowl, and to every beast of the field, Assemble yourselves, and come; gather yourselves on every side to my sacrifice that I do sacrifice for you, even a great sacrifice upon the mountains of Israel, that ye may eat flesh, and drink blood. Ye shall eat the flesh of the mighty and drink the blood of the princes of the earth, of rams, of lambs, and of goats, of bullocks, all them fatlings of Bashan. And ye shall eat fat till ye be full, and drink blood till ye be drunken, of my sacrifice which I have sacrificed for you. Thus ye shall be filled at my table with horses and chariots, with mighty men, and with all men of war, saith the Lord God” (Ezekiel 39:17-20).
Now let’s move to Revelation 19:19: There will be the mobilizing of the world’s armies. Note exactly what is said:
“And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse [Jesus Christ returning to earth], and against his army” (v. 19).
- The Antichrist is there.
- The kings or leaders of the earth are there (probably negotiating and trying to prevent the battle against each other).
- The armies of the nations are there.
If a war is going to be fought in Palestine, why bother with foot soldiers when the world has so many sophisticated weapons such as missiles and atomic warheads?
The reason is simple; armies use foot soldiers when they want to preserve the land and its resources. In the end time this is exactly what will happen.
The Antichrist will lead his eastern alliance against Palestine to totally exterminate the Jews and to take the whole Middle East with its rich resources for himself. He will march against those who claim to be followers of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Note: Remember, the Jews will have been saved at this time. They will have accepted Jesus Christ as their Messiah (see Revelation 7:4-8; 11:3-13). This is what is meant by the statement that the Antichrist and his armies gather together to fight against Christ.
Jesus Christ and His followers are one; therefore, to fight against the followers of Jesus Christ is to fight against Christ.
Note: The Antichrist cannot use atomic weapons, for the weapons would not only destroy the land and its resources but probably cause a retaliatory strike from some of the other nations in the world.
Now, how did all the armies of the world get to Palestine? There are two ways.
1. They got there the same way they would today. If some major army began to march and to claim all the oil of the Middle East for itself, we all know exactly what would happen. The nations of the world would go to war to protect their interest.
The situation in the end time will be caused by similar circumstances. Standing where we do today, we cannot see into the future to see what will happen in the Middle East to cause all the nations to gather together. All we know is this: they will all be gathered together in Palestine in the end time.
The point is this: when the Antichrist and the confederation of nations under his power begin to march against Israel, the other nations of the world apparently become edgy and nervous. The reason may be…
- the fear of a military move to conquer the world beginning in Palestine.
- the resources of the Middle East and the threat to those (such as oil).
- the insanity of exterminating a whole people and nation like the Jews.
We have run out of time and so let me close with a couple of thoughts:
1. In Galatians 5 the Apostle Paul used contrasting lists to show how good it is to walk in freedom–in line with God’s Holy Spirit–as opposed to being in bondage to sin and our own fleshly lusts.
If we are honest, we will admit that sin has everything to do with “deeds of the flesh.” It often results from sexual sin, substance abuse, or a lack of self-control compounded by fear, anger, jealousy, and the break-up of relationships.
Some people believe that sin frees people to enjoy life, they laugh when Christians say that God has created people to bring glory to God and to please Him rather than ourselves (see Isaiah 43:7; Revelation 4:11).
Let me say clearly that true freedom comes not from sin or loose living but solely in and through the Lord Jesus Christ (John 3:16; Romans 10:9-13).
Fact: Sin enslaves, but in Christ one is truly free. Deliverance from sin is a free gift for all who believe in Jesus Christ. No matter what you’ve done, call on Him and be saved.
Not only are Christians freed from the just penalty for sin (death/hell), but the Christian is helped daily by the Holy Spirit to overcome sinful desires.
It is impossible to free ourselves by pretending sin doesn’t exist, or that sin is no big deal. I John 1:8-9 tells us that we must confess our sins and ask Jesus to cleanse and forgive us–this happens initially when we truly accept Jesus as our personal Savior (John 3:16). After salvation we must continue to resolve any sin in our lives. It is called discipleship (I John 1:9).
NOTE: Make sure you are truly saved:
You can go to heaven if you truly want to. But remember, this is a personal decision and no one can make it for you. Check out John 3:16 and Romans 10:9-13 and if you have not traveled the road to heaven, follow the steps outlined for you in this passage. God assures you that you can have His free gift of salvation if you trust His son.
Log onto wilkinsradio.com to find a station near you that streams live our “Reaching Out” broadcast.