THE JUDGMENT OF BABYLON – CONTINUED
In our last study we had examined, in a limited study,
- false teaching.
- Also, we saw the mourning of the political leaders who were allied with the Antichrist. They mourned because of the destruction, by God, of the great city Babylon (Revelation 18:9).
- Further, we reviewed the mourning of the businessmen and the commercial people of the world because of the destruction of Babylon.
- We also reviewed something often missed. The mourning of the future shippers or shipmasters of the world. They mourned because of the transport and shipping companies that will be bankrupt by the collapse of a major commercial shipping center such as Babylon.
NOTE: The destruction and the catastrophic effects of the destruction carried out by God will be world-wide. The survivors will have little left of the world that they have always known.
No doubt one can understand their pain if we will recall that the world has just been torn apart by God. How did God do this?
- With the Seal, Trumpet and Bowl judgments, coupled with the world-wide earthquake that has taken place.
- There is not much left that human beings have to rejoice about.
- The future for sinful human beings is getting shorter and shorter. Why?
- Because of the return of the Lord Jesus Christ, the King of Kings and Lord of Lord’s, the creator and sustainer of the universe is soon to occur. He brings with Him His judgment, of the unsaved sinners who are still defying God.
- Don’t forget the awesome sight of his fiery angels who will be accompanying Him.
Let’s notice some important things that will cause the human beings left on earth to have great fear of what is coming.
1. The destruction of future Babylon will be violent. Revelation 18:2 This is the picture of the mighty angel taking a huge boulder and casting it into the sea. This pictures the might and strength of the angel….
- the thrust and velocity of his throw.
- the violent impact of the boulder as it hits the water.
- the violent and immediate disappearance of the boulder.
- the violent waves that begin to rush out from the boulder in EVERY DIRECTION. Don’t forget that all of these actions are world-wide, not local.
The violence of the whole scene is clearly pictured for us in Scripture. The catastrophe pictured is similar to that which would happen with multiple atomic explosions happening at the same time. Picture the violence and destruction that Malachi 4:1 portrays.
“For behold, the day is coming, burning like a furnace; and all the arrogant (proud, self-righteous, haughty), and every evildoer will be stubble; and the day that is coming shall set them fire, says the LORD of hosts, so that it will leave them neither root nor branch” (Malachi 4:1, Amplified Bible).
2. It is a fact; the destruction of Babylon will be total. The boulder disappeared immediately. Babylon, the godless government and city, will be found no more. The destruction of Babylon will be swift and violent, and the city will be utterly devastated and reduced to ashes.
“And the sound of harpists and musicians and flutists and trumpeters will never again be heard in you, and no skilled artisan of any craft shall ever again be found in you, and the sound of the millstone [grinding grain] will never again heard in you [for commerce will no longer flourish, and normal life will cease. And never again will the light of a lamp shine in you, and never again will the voice of the bridegroom and bride be heard in you…” (Revelation 18:22-23, The Amplified Bible).
“And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: every tree therefore which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire” (Luke 3:9).
“And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels, in flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power” (2 Thessalonians 1:7-9).
“And a mighty angel took up a stone like a great millstone, and cast it into the sea, saying, Thus with violence shall that great city Babylon be thrown down, and shall be found no more at all” (Revelation 18:21).
“For indignation of the LORD is upon all nations, and his fury upon all their armies: he hath utterly destroyed them, he hath delivered them to the slaughter” (Isaiah 34:2).
“Behold, I will send and take all the families of the north, saith the LORD and Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon, my servant, and will bring them against this land, and against the inhabitants thereof, and against all these nations round about, and will utterly destroy them, and make them an astonishment, and a hissing, and perpetual desolations” (Jeremiah 25:9).
“For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch” (Malachi 4:1).
Now let’s review Revelation 18:23-24. Key Words: Babylon – Judgment – Sins: these are the reasons for Babylon’s destruction repeated. These will be just listed here to give an overview.
Note: these are the same sins for which God will judge ANY nation, government, society or people.
First there is pride and arrogance.
“…thy merchants were the great [prominent, prideful] men of the earth…” (Revelation 18:23).
“How much she hath glorified herself, and lived deliciously, so much torment and sorrow give her: for she saith in her heart, I sit a queen, and am no widow, and shall see no sorrow” (Revelation 18:7).
“And Babylon, the glory, of kingdoms, the beauty of the Chaldees’ excellency, shall be as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah” (Isaiah 13:19).
“That thou shalt take up this proverb against the king of Babylon, and say, How hath the oppressor ceased! The golden city ceased!” (Isaiah 14:4).
Second, there is sorcery and spiritual corruption.
“By thy sorceries were all nations deceived” (Revelation 18:23).
“And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird” (Revelation 18:2).
Third, there is deception.
“…by thy sorceries were ALL NATIONS deceived” (Revelation 18:2).
“For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies” (Revelation 18:3).
Fourth, there is the persecution of believers.
“And in her was found the blood of prophets, and of saints, and of all that were slain upon the earth” (Revelation 18:24).
“Reward her even as she rewarded you, and double unto her double according to her works: in the cup which she hath filled fill to her double” (Revelation 18:6).
Fifth, there is the misuse of wealth: selfishly living in luxury, indulgence, and extravagance.
“…thy merchants were great men of the earth…” (Revelation 18:23; Revelation 18:7, 9, 11-17, 19).
“…the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies” (Revelation 18:3).
Sixth, there is the corruption of people.
“By thy sorceries were all nations [people] deceived” (Revelation 18:23).
“And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues” (Revelation 18:4).
Now we want to move to: THE GREAT MARRIAGE SUPPER OF THE LAMB, OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST, REVELATION 19:1-10 AND INTRODUCE THE PRINCIPLES.
This is the great MARRIAGE SUPPER OF THE LAMB, of the Lord Jesus Christ Himself. This is the great supper where all of heaven will be present to celebrate the union of Jesus Christ and the believers who have followed Him down through the centuries.
NOTE: Everyone in heaven will be there: God the Father, Christ, the Holy Spirit, believers and the heavenly hosts. It is to be the most celebrated and joyful event ever experienced up to that point in history. Why? Because it is the great Marriage Supper of the Lord Jesus Christ Himself, God’s very own Son who He loves beyond anything or anyone.
God, the Father, has planned a celebration for His Son above and beyond anything we could ever imagine or describe.
It is to be the first time that ALL THE REDEEMED of all ages have ever come together AT ONE TIME to honor the Lamb who was slain to redeem the universe. Because of what He has done for man, He is deserving of all honor and praise possible from ALL heavenly and earthly creatures.
NOTE: To give Him such glorious honor, God the Father has planned the greatest celebration and banquet imaginable, the celebration that He calls the GREAT MARRIAGE SUPPER OF THE LAMB (Revelation 19:9). Note the following:
- The Marriage Supper will be a supper of glorious praise (Revelation 19:1-6).
- The Marriage Supper will focus upon Jesus Christ the Lamb (v. 7)
- The Marriage Supper will have a pure and prepared Bride (Revelation 19:7-8).
- The Marriage Supper will be a blessed and glorious event (Revelation 19:9-10).
Now let’s consider (Revelation 19:1-6). Key Words: Marriage Supper of the Lamb — Hallelujah — Worship — Praise:
Everyone in heaven will be praising God which will include the Holy Spirit and the Lord Jesus Christ at the great supper. Note that the praise centers around four HALLELUJAHS’ in these verses (v. 1,3, 4, 6). Hallelujah simply means PRAISE GOD. It is taken from two Hebrew words: HALA which means PRAISE and JAH which is the name of God.
1. The supper will be the HALLELUJAH OF SALVATION. It is probably the heavenly host that will be singing forth this hallelujah (Revelation 5:11-14; Hebrews 12:22-24).
As we close today, I would like to direct your attention to John 3:16 and Romans 10:9-13 and simply ask you a question which has eternal ramifications. Have you followed the Road to heaven in Romans 10:9-13? Have you truly accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as your personal Savior and are looking forward to your part in the Marriage Supper of the Lamb? Only you can truthfully answer the question.
If you have already made a profession of salvation (John 3:16), are you saying that you love Jesus Christ and your life reflects that truth (see John 14:23-24)?
Are you looking forward to the Lord Jesus’ soon return? If so, you will be carrying out I John 3:2-3.
If you have questions or wish to make a comment on the message, please feel free to contact us at: email@example.com.
Log onto wilkinsradio.com to find a station near you that streams live our : Reaching Out” broadcast.