THE SEVENTH TRUMPET – PART II
THE WAR OF THE DRAGON UPON THE EARTH
Today we will begin our study with: the zeal of a man to commit himself to something. We will see man’s devotion, allegiance, loyalty and dedication, and how this helps the Antichrist.
Every person, no matter who he is, must have something that interests and motivates him, something that stirs him to arise in the morning and function and move and act throughout the day—something about which he can speak with excitement and commitment. It may be a job, family, school, sport, girlfriend [boyfriend], car, house, land, money, or power.
The great problem facing a world government – the government that will embrace every nation and people on earth, the government of the Antichrist — is this: man has to have something to drive and motivate him, something to which he can devote himself and give his loyalty to. Here is the problem for the Antichrist: How do you get every unsaved person on earth to be loyal to the government? Think of all the tribes, languages, peoples, and nations on earth with all their different traditions and histories.
- What can bring them all together?
- What can be used to bind their loyalty and allegiance to the state?
- What unifying principle, what unifying spirit can be found to focus the support of the people for the government and its leader, the Antichrist.
NOTE: This will be the problems facing the Antichrist and his government in the end time. But remember the chaotic mess of the world in the last days: there will be natural disaster after natural disaster. Earthquakes, violent storms, famine and social problems that will be sweeping the earth in record numbers, unparalleled in human history. There will be diseases and pestilences unheard of.
The terrorist actions throughout the world will increase by leaps and bounds. In addition, nation after nation will be wrecked with war and rumors of war and violent overthrowing of governments (see Matthew 24). Then there is the sinful and evil behavior of mankind (unsaved). There will be an enormous increase in drugs, assaults, murders, rapes, immorality, divorce, stealing, witchcraft, and on and on it goes.
NOTE: The world will be in a chaotic upheaval. There will be a social crisis over all the world. People will be frantic for some answers, for some leader [or government] to appear on the scene who can help bring about some order. People on earth will follow anyone who can give them peace and safety.
People will be willing to follow anyone who can supply their need. People will be frantic for some answers, for some world leader to appear on the scene who can help and bring about order and protection. Remember: there is also a war in heaven and Satan is about to be cast down to earth and he personally will add to the chaotic state of the earth.
There will be one man who can bring a false peace to the earth and secure man’s desire for someone to give their loyalty, devotion, allegiance and dedication to a way of life. Such a man we have already seen, the beast, the Antichrist. This was the discussion of the former passage. But note in this passage: the Antichrist is going to have someone to help accomplish what is needed.
There is a SECOND BEAST, a beast who is going to help the Antichrist find the unifying principle to hold the loyalty of the people. This second beast will understand the spirit of man, that man must have something to which he can be devoted. Man needs something to which he can be attached, the important principle that will unify man around the Antichrist. The principle that man will gladly follow and stay committed to—no matter if the peace is false.
This second beast will give the Antichrist that special someone or thing, the very thing that will hold the unsaved people of the world together. This second beast will become the world-wide spokesman and propaganda chief for the Antichrist. He will become the right-hand man of the Antichrist.
Who is the second beast that will attack the earth and its people in the last days? His name is “FALSE PROPHET.” Let’s consider this important person:
- His origin and description (Revelation 13:11).
- His objective: to secure the loyalty and allegiance of the world for the Antichrist and his state (v. 12).
- His means of securing loyalty and devotion (v. 13-17).
- His number, 666 (v. 18).
Now let’s move to Revelation 13:11 and the False Prophet of Revelation and the second Beast of Revelation.
His origin and description:
1. He comes out of the earth. This means that he comes out from among the common people of the earth. He will be from among the masses, yet he will hold a high office and be the second most powerful man in the government of the last days.
This will give him a strong identity with the masses of the earth. It will help him wield influence and secure their support for the programs of the Antichrist and his government.
2. He appears to be a lamb, for he only has two horns like a little lamb. No person is ever afraid of a little lamb. In the beginning there is nothing about this beast that seems wild or evil. The little lamb symbolizes at least three things.
a. This beast will appear innocent, harmless, mild, meek, attractive, and lovable. Most people will be attracted to him; no one will fear him. There will be absolutely nothing about his appearance to frighten anyone. People will be pulled to him and want to touch and embrace him just as onlookers feel pulled toward a little lamb.
b. This beast will appear to be a follower of the Lord Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God. He will appear to be one of God’s little lambs or sheep. That is, he will be a religious leader. Just like a lamb, he will appear to be religiously clean, free from evil and violence and wrong and ungodliness. He will appear to represent the Lord Jesus Christ and peace and love and joy. In the beginning people will think that he can do no wrong, or at least not any serious wrong.
c. This beast will speak as a dragon. His voice is going to betray him. What he has to say will reveal that he is not a prophet of God, but a false prophet [teacher]. (See also, II Corinthians 11:3-4; 13-15).
- He will not be teaching God’s Word, but the word of the Antichrist and state.
- He will not be speaking the truth; he will be speaking a lie.
- He will not be the spokesman for God, but the spokesman for the government of the Antichrist.
- He will not be speaking for people to support God, but for people to support the civil power.
- He will not be promoting the Lord Jesus Christ; he will be promoting the policies of the Antichrist.
The second beast will become the spokesman, the great motivator of the masses for the Antichrist. He will be the person who will come up with the unifying principle, the motivational spirit that will hold the loyalty of the people to the Antichrist and his state.
NOTE THIS: We know that he will be a religious leader, for after this passage he is called the FALSE PROPHET whenever he is mentioned (Revelation 16:13; 19:20; 20:10). Keep this in mind: he will hold the second highest position of authority in the world.
The Antichrist will promote him to be the second in command, to be the chief executive officer of the government. But note his origin and background: he comes from religion, from Christianity itself. He is a prophet, a priest, a minister who at first professes to be a follower and teacher of the Lord Jesus Christ, but his professions are false.
“For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly [appetites]; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple” (Romans 16:18).
“For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works” (2 Corinthians 11:13-15)
“This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves…having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof…[and] evil men seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived” (2 Timothy 3:1-2, 5, 13).
“For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist” (2 John 7).
Revelation 13:12 – Prophet of Revelation – Second Beast of Revelation
This is the objective of the second beast or false prophet. His objective is to secure the devotion, loyalty, and allegiance of the world to the Antichrist and his government.
NOTE TWO SIGNIFICANT POINTS:
1. This second beast will exercise ALL THE POWER OF THE ANTICHRIST. The Antichrist will give the FALSE PROPHET the right to speak and act for him. When he speaks and acts, he will do it with the full authority and power of the throne. He will be the chief executive officer of the Antichrist, the second in command, the chief of staff, the full representative of the Antichrist.
2. But remember: this beast is a prophet, a prominent religious leader. He comes from the root of Christianity and from the church. He is either a minister or a priest. He will represent the Lamb of God, the Lord Jesus Christ. But the Antichrist notices him and entices him to use his religious POSITION AND INFLUENCE for the state. This means a significant thing. It means that the false prophet…
- will hold some high position in religion.
- will be very influential and probably already known by many in the world.
- will be very charismatic, able to effectively speak and communicate with people face to face, in meetings and in mass, over television and radio or whatever visual and sound media will exist in that day.
Now, what is the objective of the false prophet? It is to secure devotion, loyalty, allegiance to the Antichrist and his state. As previously stated, the end government will have to come up with some way to hold the support of the people of the world—people with so many diverse backgrounds and cultures, needs and wants. This will be the objective of this beast, of the false prophet. He will become a part of the civil government, of the state itself…
- He will use his high office in religion to rally people to support the Antichrist and the state.
- He will focus worship, that is, the devotion and loyalty of people upon the Antichrist and his state. devoted to the state and its leader, the Antichrist.
- He will do what he can to lead people into a worldwide religion, to be loyal and devoted to the state and its leader, the Antichrist.
This may seem repetitive, but it is essential to see the objective of the false prophet. In the end time, the government and its leader, the Antichrist, will have to solve the problem about how to hold the support of so many diverse people throughout the world.
NOTE: A WORLD-WIDE RELIGION—one great spirit focused upon the government and its leader—will be the answer. Everyone in the world will be expected to give his FIRST LOYALTY AND ALLEGIANCE to the state and the Antichrist. Everyone’s second loyalty and allegiance may perhaps be given to any religion of their choice, but their first loyalty will have to be to the state and its leader, the state and leader that has brought peace to the world and provide so much for the people of the world.
Now let’s stop and consider the protection that the Christian needs to have in place in their lives before the arrival of the Antichrist and the false prophet of Revelation 13! Go with me to Ephesians 6:10-18. You may not realize it, but God has already provided [in His Word] all you will ever need.
In John 3:16 God has given, to the person who wants to spend eternity with Him in heaven, the answer. God will give His “free gift of eternal life” to you—if you want it. If you accept His Son as your personal Savior, God promises that you will spend eternity in heaven. The answer is pretty easy isn’t it? Well let’s check this out with a different set of Biblical verses: Read Romans 10:9-13, something I call the road to heaven.
NOTE: God’s righteousness and salvation (utopia) are right before mankind (Deuteronomy 30:14). Jesus Christ is the Deliverer who has ascended into heaven and brought utopia down to man, and He is the Savior who has descended into the depths to conquer death and hell (Romans 10:9).
“But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it” (Deuteronomy 30:14).
“That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved” (Romans 10:9).
“For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them” (Ephesians 2:8-10).
Since Christ has come, the gospel does not require man to scale the heavens nor to fathom the great abyss. Such requirements would be impossible.
NOTE: The Gospel only demands faith and open confession that Christ has done both. Why would God commission His Son to go to such limits for man? Simply because God loves man that much (John 3:16; Romans 5:8).
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life” (John 3:16).
“But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us” (Romans 5:8).
All that a man desires—righteousness, salvation, utopia—are found within man’s mouth and heart. Man has to do three simple things to be counted righteous and acceptable by God.
Believe in the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
NOTE: Man has to do three simple things to be saved from sin, death and hell, and to receive utopia [heaven]. We will study further the 3 simple things next time.
Log onto wilkinsradio.com to find a station near you that streams live our “Reaching Out” broadcast.