THE BLAST OF THE SIXTH TRUMPET:
DEMONIC – LIKE MILITARY HORSEMEN
Introduction: As we start today we will finish our previous study of Revelation 9:11 – Evil Spirits – Satan – Angels – Fallen and then move to 9:12-21. We will see the king of the demonic locusts identified. Four things are said about him.
- He is an angel, a creature of enormous beauty and strength.
- He is an angel of the bottomless pit, a fallen angel. He was once an angel of heaven, a servant of God; but now he is an angel of the underworld, of sin and evil and of all ungodliness and unrighteousness.
- He is the king, the ruler and governor over the bottomless pit. Note: there are various levels of authority and power and rule in the spiritual world just as there are in this world (Ephesians 6:12). This fallen angel rules over the power of darkness. The pit is under his command and authority.
- He has both a Greek and a Hebrew name. His Hebrew name is Abaddon, which means destruction; His Greek name is Apollyon, which means destroyer. What better name could there be to describe the ruler of the demonic locusts? No creature and no force leaves behind any more destruction than that of the ferocious locust. Who is this fallen angel? Again, it has to be either Satan himself or one of his commanding angels.
NOTE: A critical fact: the enemy of man is the spiritual force that lies behind this dark world, a force that the Bible calls Satan. We only deceive ourselves if we do not cast ourselves upon the power and salvation of Jesus Christ.
We need to trust Jesus Christ who delivers us from the grip of this evil force and the person who leads us into evil and dooms us to death. Jesus Christ, the very Son of God Himself, has defeated Satan in order to deliver us from the grip of Satan and his power of sin and death. We need to trust the Lord Jesus Christ.
“When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one (Satan), and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side” (Matthew 13:19).
“Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it” (John 8:44).
“Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world [Satan] be cast out” (John 12:31).
“Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me” (John 14:30).
“But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: in whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them” (2 Corinthians 4:3-4).
“Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air [Satan], the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:” (Ephesians 2:2).
“For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against rulers of darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places” (Ephesians 6:12).
“And having spoiled [spiritual] principalities and powers [of the devil], he made a show of them openly, triumphing over them in it” (Colossians 2:15).
“Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; and deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage” (Hebrews 2:14-15).
“Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour” (I Peter 5:8).
“He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil” (I John 3:8).
Now let’s turn to Revelation 9:12-21. Outline:
- More woes lie ahead.
- The four fallen angels are set loose:
- at the command of a voice from the altar,
- were bound at the Euphrates River, and
- were prepared to destroy one third of humanity.
3. The military horsemen & their demonic horses appear.
- Their number is 200 million.
- The riders have breastplates that are indestructible.
- The horses:
+have heads like lions, ferocious & devouring,
+have mouths spitting fire, a hellish nature,
+kill one third of the ungodly and evil of the earth, and
+their power is in their mouth, head, and serpent-like tails– to deliver torture and death.
4. The judgment has a purpose–to lead people to repentance.
- The survivors do not repent.
- The repentance is needed.
Let’s think about this a little: The trumpet blast of judgment is going to fall upon the earth, upon the ungodly and upon the evil of this world. We have seen this in the first four trumpet blasts that fell upon nature.
Horrifying and catastrophic events destroyed:
- one third of the vegetation,
- the water supply,
- sea life,
- the shipping commerce of the world, and
- the fishing industry commerce of the world.
Scientists warn us all the time about the possibility of such horrors unless the environment is protected. Such a horrible time is coming in the Tribulation Age, or sooner.
Man himself will not be afflicted in the first four judgments. Man’s body will not be attacked; his body will not suffer any massive ill effects from the catastrophes of the first four judgments.
However, during the last three judgments, ungodly and evil men of the world will suffer bodily. After the natural disasters, millions and millions of ungodly and evil men will be afflicted and destroyed. Why? They are going to reap what they have sown. They have sown terrible ungodliness; therefore, they are to reap the punishment of their evil. The punishment is to be so severe it can only be the ungodly and evil of this world that the punishment that God’s judgment is directed against.
FACT: The last three judgments are the woe judgments; these judgments are directed against the ungodly and evil of this world.
The first woe judgment was seen in the former study, the blast of a demonic-like plague of locusts. The demonic locusts could only torture men, but not kill them. The sixth trumpet blasts forth its plague of demonic locusts. These are military demons; they shall take their toll upon human life. An astronomical number of the ungodly and evil men will die under the judgment of God’s righteous hand in this woe judgment.
Revelation 9:12 Judgment – Woe: There is to be catastrophic destruction and devastation in the great Tribulation that is coming upon the earth. It will be terrible and it can only be described as a period of woe, that is, of extreme grief, distress, suffering, affliction and calamity. The woe judgments of God are the trumpet judgments that zero in on afflicting the bodies of the ungodly. One woe has already been covered, the demonic-like locusts. Two more woe judgments are yet to fall upon the evil people of the world.
Revelation 9:13-15 Angels, fallen, judgment: There are four fallen angels set loose. Three facts are given about their being loosed.
1. They are loosed by a command coming from the golden altar. This is the altar of incense where the prayers of God’s people are kept (Revelation 6:9-10; 8:3-4). This symbolizes a significant fact; God launches this judgment specialty to vindicate the missionaries who will be slaughtered in the holocaust of the Antichrist. God is going to be perfectly just. He is going to execute perfect justice against the Antichrist and his followers who have slaughtered millions. They too shall be slain by the judgment of God. The very prayers of the golden altar cry out for the name of God to be vindicated against those who laughed, mocked, rejected, denied, disbelieved, disobeyed, and cursed God. God is going to hear these prayers.
2. The four released angels are bound at the great river Euphrates. Note the definite article that is used, “THE.”
The four fallen angels are four specific angels. As will be seen shortly, they will be four angels of high military rank.
Why would the angels come from the Euphrates?
Scripture does not say, but two reasons seem likely.
- The head or spring of the Euphrates flowed out of the garden of Eden. It was there, of course, where Satan first tempted and overthrew man. The first sin that resulted in the fallen human race took place at the head of the Euphrates river. It was also there that the first murder took place and it was in the region of the Euphrates that the first organized rebellion (Tower of Babel) against God took place.
- The Euphrates was the western boundary of the land that God promised to Abraham.
Therefore, beyond the Euphrates River can be looked upon as the outer reaches of the earth, as the place where the spiritual enemies of man are kept. As William Barclay says:
“The angels, therefore, come from the distant lands, from the strange and alien and hostile places, from these very parts of the world from which the Assyrians and the Babylonians had in time past descended with the destruction upon Israel. So, then, the angels come from the quarter from which disaster had in ancient times come upon God’s people Israel….the four angels are Angels of Punishment; they come from the part of the world from which death and disaster and slavery had so often come” (The Revelation of John, Vol. 2, p. 64).
3. The four fallen angels were loosed and they prepared to execute a judgment upon the earth–the judgment of slaying one third of the ungodly and evil population of the world. Remember why? Because the billions upon earth will follow and give their total allegiance and support to the Antichrist and the policies of his government.
One of the major policies will be the holocaust launched against the believers of the world. Literally millions will be slaughtered. Simply stated, God will not be able to tolerate the diabolical evil of ungodly people any more. He will allow His justice to finally be executed and demonstrated; the diabolical, the ungodly and evil, shall reap the slaughter they have inflicted upon others.
4. Note one other fact, God has already set the time for this judgment. There is an exact year, month, day, and even hour that this judgment is to fall upon the ungodly and evil. The hour is fixed.
Revelation 9:16-19) Judgment – Angels, Fallen: There are the military horsemen and their demonic horses.
FIVE things are said about this demonic horde.
- There will be an army of TWO HUNDRED MILLION. Imagine an army of two hundred million demonic spirits let loose upon the earth. This army will be the army that the four fallen angels will command, an army such as the world has never seen before.
- The riders have breastplates. The breastplates are “fiery red and sapphire blue and sulphur (brimstone) yellow” (The Amplified New Testament). The breastplate symbolizes that they will be indestructible, protected, and defended as they go to war against the ungodly of the world. Man will not be able to stop them.
We will finish this in our next study. As we end today, and in case you missed it in our last study, we want to explore again the challenge for Christians in the Age of Grace, as co-workers with Christ.
The challenge for Christians as co-workers in Christ is to walk in the Spirit (Galatians 5:16), reject the works of the flesh (Galatians 5:16-21), and produce the fruit of the Spirit in our lives (Galatians 5:22-26) while carrying out God’s commands (Matthew 28:18-21; Acts 1:8). We are to love each other (I John 4:21) while expecting the return of Christ at any moment, which means we will live a purifying life. Why? Because He is pure and we are to be purifying our lives (I John 3:3, 9), while recognizing ourselves as co-workers with Christ (I Corinthians 3:9; Romans 16:3-4; Philippians 4:3). Much more could be added to this and perhaps in our next study you will see it again.
However, none of the above can happen until we are saved (John 3:16; Romans 10:9-13). So, God says to examine yourselves to see whether you are truly in the faith, to see if you are truly in Christ (see 2 Corinthians 13:5). Check out also Matthew 7:13-14 and ask yourself which path you are actually following.
May God bless you richly as you study His Word. Are you constantly being like the Psalmist, asking God to teach you?
Log onto wilkinsradio.com to find a station near you that streams live our “Reaching Out” broadcast.