THE NEW JERUSALEM – Part Two
Key Word – New Jerusalem
In our previous study we were examining the New Jerusalem and the city’s twelve gates from Revelation 21:12-17. Today we will continue looking at the new Jerusalem from several aspects of the city.
We stopped in our last study of the New Jerusalem with Revelation 21:17. So, we begin today with Revelation 21:18-21. Through the end of the chapter and perhaps begin Revelation 22, withour third study of the New Jerusalem.
We begin with the city’s materials (Revelation 21:18-21). Keep in mind that in some cases the gems or precious stones that are mentioned in this passage differed from the valuable stones that we know today. (As you think about the stones, note the spectacular beauty of color in the city.) The stones seem to be as follows:
1. The WALLS ARE MADE OF JASPER: a crystal-like rock that is green in color. The crystal green walls sparkle with the most beautiful color as the reflection of God’s glory strikes them. (note: as you think about the stones of the city try to imagine them as if you were standing before them.)
2. The city is made of pure gold, a gold that is as clear as glass. There is no gold that can meet this standard, there is no gold on earth as clear as glass. Again, try to imagine what it might be like. Think about a city many times larger than New York or Tokyo or any other major city, being made out of pure gold, a gold so pure that it would be crystal clear. Now imagine the dazzling gold color of the New Jerusalem as the glory of God [strikes it].
Now think about your new home, the New Jerusalem, the golden city where you will live forever…if you have accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as your personal Savior in this lifetime. Before your appearance before a Holy God after your death. Think about the following Scripture portions and ask yourself if you have followed the road to heaven. (Romans 10:9-13)
My friend, I want you to realize that if you do not do this before your death then that golden city you will never see…only a lake of fire which we will look at later, it is also called hell.
Remember, it is your choice if you go to heaven or not. No one can do it for you, and no one can force you to accept Jesus Christ as your personal savior. It is your personal responsibility.
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” (John 3:16)
“That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the scripture saith, whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.” (Romans 10:9-13)
“But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.” (Hebrews 11:6)
“Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.” (Acts 2:41)
“For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast.” (Ephesians 2: 8,9)
3. The twleve foundations are decorated with every kind of precious stone (Revelation 21:19-20). Note: this information is acquired from William Barclay (The Revelation of John, Vol. 2, page 273f and from the Preacher;s Outline and Sermon Bible of the book of Revelation, page 288).
* The first foundation is jasper: a green rock-like crystal.
*The second foundation is sapphire: a sky blue spotted with gold (Exodus 24:10).
*The third foundation is chalcedony: a green stone like the green on a peacock’s tail.
*The fourth foundation is emerald: a green, the greenest of all greens.
*The fifth foundation is sardonyx: a stone that has different shades of color, basically white with layers of red.
*The sixth foundation is sardius: a blood-red stone.
*The seventh foundation is Chrysolite: a shining stone with gold radiance.
*The eighth foundation is beryl: a sea blue or sea green stone.
*The nineth foundation is topaz: a greenish-gold stone that was transparent (Job 28:19)
* The tenth foundation is chrysoprasus: an apple green stone.
*The eleventh foundation is Jacinth: a violet, bluish-purple stone, but more brilliant than the jacinth.
*The twelfth foundaiton is amethyst: a violet, bluish-purple stone, but more brillant than the jacinth.
4. The twelve gates are twelve huge pearls. What a wonder, what a magnificent beauty!
5. The streets are made of pure gold, but again the gold is transparent, as transparent as glass.
Now attempt to put yourself in the middle of all of this beauty as God’s glory reflects off everything. This is a staggering picture of beauty and variety. This picture that God is laying out before us is the most amazing sight in the universe. Try to imagine the fiery brilliance and splendor as the glory of God reflects off the glistiening stones.
Good Question: Wouldn’t you want to have this amazing city as your goal, your eternal dwelling place for all of eternity? Wouldn’t you want to live in God’s presence for all of eternity??? You know, you can, if you truly want it. Look again at John 3:16, Romans 10:9-13 and Hebrews 11:6 and see how easy it is.
Good Question: does the stones and color symbolize anything? There is bound to be at least this meaning behind such magnificent beauty: the heavenly city is worth any price to enter. No doubt you would agree that it is priceless.
Now think about it this way. The city is priceless beyond anything man could want in this lifetime. Would you not also agree that the heavenly city is worth any price to enter it and live for all of eternity there in the presence of God. Now since it is priceless, no matter what a man has to sacrifice, he is a fool if he does not give up everything, he has to enter the heavenly city of God.
Now for the amazing truth: If you want to enter the heavenly city in the future the price has been paid, it will cost you nothing to enter, the entrance fee has already been paid for you by God’s Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. The only way in is THROUGH the Lord Jesus Christ. Notice His clear statement in John by Christ Jesus:
“…I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” (John 14:6)
Remember, as we have already seen, Jesus said “I am the Door.”
Fact: He is truly the ONLY way, the only entrance by which man can enter into the New Jerusalem and live for all of eternity. With that said, let’s now look at more Scripture.
“Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field.” (Matthew 13:44)
“Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls: who when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and brought it.” (Matthew 13:45-46)
“But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth not rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through not steal.” (Matthew 6:20)
“Jesus said unto him, if thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.” (Matthew 19:21)
“Sell that ye have and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not…” (Luke 12:33)
“Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ.” (Philippians 3:8)
“Laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life.” (I Timothy 6:19)
“I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with salve, that thou mayest see. (Revelation 3:18)
Now let’s move to Revelation 21:22 and the New Jerusalem: that is the city’s worship (v. 22).
Note: There is no temple in the heavenly city, for God the Father and His son, the Lord Jesus Christ are there. Their presence will be so manifested…
- that the very atmosphere will be heavy with their spirit.
- that every person will be filled with God’s Spirit, perfectly filled.
- that every person will be perfectly conscious of God’s continued presence.
No believer will be without the full and perfect knowledge of God’s Spirit and presence. Therefore, there will be an unbroken worship, communication, and sharing with God and Christ. No matter what service or work the believer will be performing, and no matter where the believer is serving throughout the universe, he will be in unbroken fellowship and communion with God. Therefore, there is no need for a temple and its ceremonies and rituals to pull the human mind into the worship of God.
“God is a Spirit: and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth.” (John 4:24)
Let’s pause and consider this a little bit: (John 4:23-24), God is Spirit. Ask yourself, what is meant by spirit? At least three things are gleaned from Scripure.
- Spirit is NOT flesh and bone. Spirit is not physical and material. Spirit is immaterial, non-physical, incorporeal. Spirit is of another dimension of being, another dimension entirely different from the physical and material dimension of being.
- Spirit is the INNERMOST PART OF BEING, THE VERY CORE AND HEART OF LIFE. Spirit is the very breath of God’s life, the very breath of God’s existence, the very being of God’s life. That is, spirit is eternal existence and being. It is permanent unending existence. A spirit has the breath of life, of existence, of BEING FOREVER. “And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.” (Genesis 2:7)
- God is Spirit. This means He is the very embodiment of life eternal, of permanent, unending existence. His nature is not flesh and bone; for the physical ages, deteriorates, dies, and decays—it ends. But not Spirit, not God. God exists forever and ever. He is life, the very embodiment of life eternal. Whatever life is—in all of its perfection—GOD IS. God is the perfect, Life, Intelligence, Being. The basic nature of God is Spirit: eternal being, eternal life, the Perfect Being, the Perfect life.
“And this is life eternal…thee the only true God…” (John 17:3)
“Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity EVERY THOUGHT to the obedience of Christ.” (2 Corinthians 10:5)
“Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things, are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” (Philippians 4:8)
“And after these things I heard a great voice of much people in heaven, saying, Alleluia, Salvation, and glory, and honor, and power, unto the Lord our God.” (Revelation 19:1 and Revelation 9:1-7)
“But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and in his law doth he meditate day and night.” (Psalm 1;2)
“Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth thee.” (Isaiah 26:3)
Now notice Revelation 21;23 and the New Jerusalem.
There is the city’s light, the glory of God and His Son, the lamb of God, the Lord Jesus Christ. The glory of God gives is full of so much light and shines so brightly there is no need for the sun nor for any other heavenly body to give the city light. Just imagine the power and radiance of God’s glory—so bright that it is more forceful than the beams of light flowing from the sun! It is the glory of God that gives light to the city.
As indicated before:
- The glory of God shines all throughout the city, the city actually shines and has a sparkling sheen to it.
- The city shines like the green of a Jasper, but it is clear as a crystal.
- The glory of God glitters off the city as though the buildings are crystal clear—everything glitters in the most beautiful green of jasper.
Now in your mind, as a saved individual, try to imagine what it will look like. I agree with you, it can’t be done. Why? Because our minds are not capable of manifesting God’s Glory. However, it can be a blessing as we consider our wonderful life in the presence with God in heaven.
As we close, we want you to examine the following Scripture passages and evaluate your life…are you truly saved or not.
Again, notice 2 Corinthians 13:5 – “Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?”
Now think about the following Scripture:
John 3:16 – “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
Acts 2:41 – “Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.”
Hebrews 11:6 – “But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.”
Romans 10:9-13 – “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the scripture saith, whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. For whosoever shall call upon the name of Lord shall be saved.”
If you want to be saved please follow the steps in these verses.
After you have asked the Lord Jesus Christ to save you (whosoever shall call upon His name shall be saved, Romans 10:13). You now have a step of obedience to carry out, showing the world that you are a disciple of Christ. God wants you to openly confess Him by getting baptized by immersion, (under the water—not just sprinkled). He also wants you to faithfully attend a church that teaches the Bible, through which you will learn about discipleship.
NOTE: If you will send us a request, we will forward to you a free booklet, entitled, “Simple Studies In Christian Essentials”, which contains information for new converts. You may send the request by e-mail at:
Or by regular mail to Open Bible Ministries of TN, 157 Mariners Drive, Crossville, TN 38558