Previously, we have been looking at Why America needs Revival. Today we are going to observe Communion and connect the subject of Prayer to our obedience. Remember, Communion is a time of Revival as we look at our Past, the Present and the Future, in conjunction with our obedience to God. (Philippians 2:12-13)
In Matthew 6, Jesus presents models for giving, prayer, fasting, money and trust. This morning, with communion, we will focus on Prayer.
Essentials in Prayer (Matthew 6:5)
Prayers God rejects (6:5, 7-8)
- Boasting prayers (6:5): Praying publicly brings reward from men only.
- Babbling prayers (6:7-8): God knows what you need before you ask.
Prayers God receives (6:6): We should pray from the heart, in private.
Elements in Prayer (Matthew 6: 9-15) Jesus lists nine aspects of prayer.
- Faith (6:9a): “Our Father in heaven.”
- Worship (6:9b): ” May your name be honored.”
- Expectation (6:10a): “May your kingdom come soon.”
- Submission (6:10b): “May your will be done here on earth, just as it is in heaven.”
- Petition (6:11): “Give us our food for today.”
- Confession (6:12a): “And forgive us our sins.”
- Compassion (6:12b see also 14-15): “Just as we have forgiven those who have sinned against us.”
- Dependence (6:13a): “And don’t let us yield to temptation.”
- Acknowledgement (6:13b): “For yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.”
R. A. Torrey once said: “Never a Revival Without Mighty Praying.”
One thing you can count on is that Prayer will do more to bring a deep lasting and sweeping revival that all the programs and organizations that were devised by man.
Think about it, there have been revivals without much preaching. There have been revivals with absolutely no organization, but there has never been a mighty revival without mighty praying.
What we need today, more than anything else, is the Children of God engaged in God sent revivals, ones that are under the Power and Control of the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 5:18).
Accomplished through mighty praying by the Army of God…that’s you!!!!
HOW TO PRAY
- Pray Without Ceasing – I Thessalonians 5:17
- Pray in the Spirit – Ephesians 5:18, Jude 20
- Pray Fervently – Colossians 4:12
- Pray with Understanding – I Corinthians 14:14-15
- Pray with Holy Hands – I Timothy 2:8
- Pray in Faith – James 1:6
- Pray with Watchfulness – Matthew 26:4